Places to Visit in Kent
Welcome to our guide to exploring the picturesque county of Kent! We are excited to share our knowledge and help you discover the diverse attractions and natural beauty that Kent has to offer. Kent is known for its diverse attractions, rich cultural heritage, and stunning natural beauty. Whether you're seeking historic sites, charming coastal towns, or outdoor adventures, Kent has something for everyone.
Exploring Kent: 5 Must-Visit Destinations from St. Pancras International
Kent, often referred to as the "Garden of England," is a picturesque county filled with charming towns, stunning coastline, and rich historical heritage. Conveniently accessible via Southeastern trains from St. Pancras International, Kent offers a plethora of delightful destinations to explore. From the majestic Canterbury Cathedral to the vibrant seaside towns of Margate and Whitstable, Kent has something for everyone.
Situated just a short train ride away from St. Pancras International, Canterbury is a must-visit destination in Kent. Renowned for its magnificent cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Canterbury offers a captivating blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Don't miss:
- Explore Canterbury Cathedral: Marvel at the grandeur of this medieval masterpiece, admire the stunning stained-glass windows, and take a guided tour to learn about its fascinating history.
- Stroll through the Canterbury Historic River Tours: Embark on a relaxing boat trip along the River Stour, meandering through the heart of the city, and soak in the picturesque views.
- Discover Canterbury's Heritage: Immerse yourself in the city's past by visiting the Canterbury Roman Museum and Canterbury Tales attraction, offering an interactive journey back to medieval times.
Getting there: Canterbury West is approximately 51 minutes from St. Pancras International via Southeastern Railway.
Nestled on the southeast coast of Kent, Folkestone is a charming coastal town brimming with artistic flair and breathtaking scenery. Here are some top things to do in Folkestone:
- Explore the Creative Quarter: Wander through the vibrant Creative Quarter, filled with independent galleries, boutique shops, and delightful cafes. Don't miss the Folkestone Artworks, an open-air exhibition highlighting innovative sculptures.
- Visit the Lower Leas Coastal Park: Take a leisurely stroll through this award-winning park, boasting stunning sea views, beautifully landscaped gardens, and a fun-filled adventure playground for children.
- Discover the Folkestone Harbour Arm: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the restored Victorian harbour arm, home to an array of food vendors, lively entertainment, and occasional festivals.
Getting there: Folkestone Central and Folkestone West stations are just under an hour from St Pancras International via Southeastern Railway
A popular seaside resort town, Margate has undergone a renaissance in recent years, attracting visitors with its retro charm and artistic appeal. Uncover the vibrant atmosphere of Margate with these top recommendations:
- Explore the Turner Contemporary: Admire contemporary artworks at this world-class gallery, inspired by the renowned landscape painter J.M.W. Turner, who had a strong connection to Margate.
- Enjoy Dreamland: Experience nostalgia and exhilaration at Dreamland, an iconic amusement park featuring vintage rides, live music, and a vibrant atmosphere.
- Relax on Margate Main Sands: Soak up the sun on Margate's golden sandy beach, take a refreshing dip in the sea, and indulge in traditional fish and chips.
Getting there: Margate is 1 hour 30 minutes from St Pancras international via Southeastern Railway.
With its bustling marina, picturesque Royal Harbour, and fascinating maritime heritage, Ramsgate is a captivating coastal gem. Here are the top things to do in Ramsgate:
- Visit the Ramsgate Tunnels: Explore the intriguing underground tunnels that served as air-raid shelters during World War II, offering a glimpse into the town's wartime history.
- Discover the Maritime Museum: Learn about Ramsgate's maritime heritage at this informative museum, highlighting models of historic ships, artifacts, and interactive displays.
- Enjoy a Boat Trip: Take a leisurely boat trip along the stunning coastline, offering breathtaking views of the White Cliffs of Dover and the opportunity to spot seals and seabirds.
Getting there: Ramsgate is just over an hour from St Pancras International via Southeastern Railway.
Famous for its oysters and charming seaside ambiance, Whitstable is a delightful destination that exudes coastal charm and culinary delights. Here is what not to miss:
- Explore Whitstable Harbour: Wander around the bustling harbour, watch fishing boats unload their catch, and sample freshly caught seafood at one of the local eateries.
- Take a stroll along Whitstable Beach: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the pebble beach, breathe in the fresh sea air, and witness stunning sunsets over the water.
- Visit the Whitstable Castle and Gardens: Immerse yourself in the tranquillity of these beautiful gardens, explore the castle, and enjoy a delightful afternoon tea in the tearoom.
Getting here: Canterbury West is just 51 minutes from St. Pancras International via Southeastern Railway .