St Pancras International Station
St Pancras station was designed by William Barlow. The Midland Railway company asked him to provide the most regal entrance into London.
Work on the original station took 6000 men, 1000 horses, 100 steam cranes and over 4 years. It opened in 1868.
Barlow built the station over the canal, which immediately made St. Pancras more imposing as the platforms were elevated above ground level, resting on 850 pillars.
The undercroft area beneath the platforms became a giant beer cellar, storing beer from the Midlands.
The Barlow Shed
The Barlow Shed is an engineering wonder. AT 100ft high and 243ft wide it remains the largest enclosed station covering in the world.
Over time the station fell into decline and when restoration plans were announced in the 90s the station was a sad symbol of UK railways neglect.
After 6 years of renovation and a cost of £800 million, St Pancras International emerged as a glittering emblem of what the future holds for railways.
- More than 150 tonnes of dirt cleaned from the brickwork
- 18,000 panes of glass in the restored roof
20,000 litres of Barlow Blue paint to repaint the ironwork.